GentleSharp adds directed, low-frequency, backward and forward motion to the needle as it is inserted. The resulting micro-vibrations help the needle puncture and glide through tissue more smoothly with less resistance. Since less force is applied to the tissue during needle puncture, the subject experiences less stress from the blood sampling procedure.
GentleSharp is designed for venipuncture and arterial puncture of superficial blood vessels, with collection of blood via a capillary tube, dried blood spot card, or other disposable. Blood collected can be used for, but is not limited to:
- Basic research: Animal health monitoring and diagnostics testing, genetic testing, bioanalysis
- Drug/Therapeutic discovery and pre-clinical development: Pharmacology, non-GLP toxicology, bioavailability, pharmaceutical sciences
- Safety assessment: GLP toxicology, drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics, toxicokinetics, safety pharmacology
A version of GentleSharp that collects blood (e.g., into a syringe or vacuum tube) and enables injections to be performed is currently under development.
- Greater sampling success.
- Greater blood volume.
- Decreased needle insertions.
- Improved collection success for novice collectors.
- Lower and less variability of stress hormone level.
- Download the GentleSharp Product Sheet (PDF).
- Download the GentleSharp Operator’s Manual (PDF).
- Funded by NIH/NIA Phase II SBIR grant.